Sunday, July 25, 2010

Life as a Single Mom

Rich has been home very little over the last week and it looks like this week will bring more of the same. He left early yesterday morning to pick up Bobby from the airport and ended up staying at Bill and Carol's house to help out. Bobby has been a huge help since he got here. He and Rich were able to give Bill a bath yesterday and they took turns getting up with him all night. Bobby has also offered some much needed comical relief:) I now see where Rich gets it from. Bobby has to fly home tomorrow, so Rich will need to spend every night at Bill's side so that there is someone strong enough to lift him. Beth also made it into town and will be picking up Ted from the airport tomorrow. It's a shame that it takes an event like this to get to see everyone.

Bill is still extremely restless, but sleeps for about four hours at a time. During the time that he is awake he needs someone by his side to make sure that he is comfortable as he tries to move around. He has continued to get weaker, but Rich has gotten him to drink Ensure at least twice a day. There are two tumors that have now emerged on his neck and back. It seems as if the cancer is spreading rapidly throughout his body. As awful as it sounds, I pray that his suffering will be over sooner than later. Right now it is difficult to standby and watch.

Evan, Hailey, and I went out to visit today and I plan on going back on Wednesday after I finish up grade book training on Monday and Tuesday. It is going to be hard continuing to be the only parent at home, but even harder that I am not helping out at Bill and Carol's house.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hearing what Rich and his family are going through is so sad. Please tell Rich that I am thinking of you guys during this difficult time.