Monday, August 24, 2009

Taken on too much?

So, today I found out that I got the Technology Trainer position (yea, more money!) and the Substitute Coordinator position (yea, more money!). What I also found out is that either I have ADD or I'm so overwhelmed that my mind can't handle any more information. What both of these things mean are "Yea, more stress"!

At 11:00 am I sent out a welcoming email introducing myself as the Sub Coordinator, turned to look at my frazzled desk, and then looked back at my inbox. What I saw set the tone for the rest of the day, total disarray. No joke, I had close to 20 emails with substitute requests through the first week in October. I tossed aside the calendar I had been putting requests in and got a new planner with much more space. Once the planner was set I began writing down all of the requests and responding to all the emails. When I finally felt like I had things under control it was 3:00 pm! And, no I did not actually make any phone calls to find coverage for these days yet.

I decided that I had to focus on the tasks at hand and assign lockers, write names on planners, assign seats, organize pencil boxes, cut construction paper, send out email reminders to the rest of my team, make copies, check voice mail, clean my desk, file papers, charge batteries, organize cameras, set up computers and clean tables. It would have been nice if I could have done this in peace, but before I could even print out my class rolls I was being summoned to help everyone else with their computer issues. Thank goodness most folks were gone by 5:00! I, on the other hand, needed the next two hours to get my stuff together for tomorrow's big day when the kids return. At 7:00 pm I finally got myself out of the building before I disappeared into the black hole on my desk. And no, I didn't get to take any pictures, but maybe I'll remember to do so sometime in the next 180 days. During the last five days I kept asking myself why, after all of the work I did at the end of the year, it seemed like I was getting no where, but now I know. If getting my room ready was the only thing I had to worry about I would have no worries!

No comments: