Sunday, April 25, 2010

Turtles and Boats

After cleaning all day Saturday, we visited with Rich's family Saturday night. It was great to see Rich's Uncle Randy and Aunt Jo who are staying with Bill and Carol for a few weeks or until we know what is going on with Bill, who now has appointment this Thursday with a Radiologist/Oncologist. We all played Wii sports and ate dinner together. Hailey had a great time playing with Boots and Norman, Bill and Carol's two dogs. It definitely lifted Bill's spirits to have his family around, good food, and to indulge in some Southern Comfort and cigars with with brother:)

Sunday we had lunch with my parents and then went to Target to do a little shopping. Hailey made out with the most loot as usual. Uncle Rich bought her a boat that "he" could drive around the lake for fun. We spent the afternoon at the lake with the boat. Hailey enjoyed the boat, the HUGE turtle that we saw and going on duck hunts.


(Hailey watching Uncle Rich.)

(The boat in action.)

(Looking for the ducky.)

(Check out those hot new shoes from Grandma.)
("NO, Tur-Tle, DON'T Get MY Boat!")

Okay, so on to the turtle story. While Rich was driving the boat around I saw this huge creature emerge from the water near the boat. It came out of the water in two different places because it was so large. Rich and I were astonished and couldn't figure out what it was at first. Then we saw it jump out and grab a fish like something out of National Geographic. In fact, I'm sure it would have been graphic if we had been close enough to see it! Gross. Rich, of course, took the boat closer to see what would happen. Just when he got close the creature went under, but then sprang from the water and bit the boat! We were all jumping up and down, freaking out, Hailey was screaming and anyone watching from their house probably thought we were nuts. It was then that we could tell this was creature was an enormous snapping turtle. I bet it weighed close to 100 lbs. It just so happens that they had one on the Today Show Sunday morning and this guy was at least as big! Rich tried to get it to chase to boat to shore, but no such luck. It was pretty darn exciting though. I guess I'm going to have to watch out next time I run around the lake!

("Look at it!")

(Hailey taking home her new toy.)

(That HUGE thing in the water to the right of the white boat is the turtle's head. YIKES.)

So, after all of the turtle craziness we went home and hurried to get ready to go to Shaun and Jennie's for dinner. While Rich got Hailey ready, I fed and walked the dogs. What would I happen to find on my walk? A baby snapping turtle of course. It was about 2 inches long and covered in dried mud, as it tried to make its way across the hot asphalt in the opposite direction of the creek. I picked it up and carried it home, and then Rich revived it in the creek before sitting it on a rock in the water. We checked on it before leaving and it had already taken off. I guess we set ourselves up for another 100 lb turtle!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Good Lord, I would have totally freaked out seeing that huge creature!! Guess we won't find you taking a dip in the lake anytime soon :-) Gosh, Hailey is getting so big..love her shoes- do they glow in the dark? Ha, ha! Hope she didn't "lose" her husband in the lake because I'm sure that enormous turtle would have eaten him by now!!!

Amy said...

Is this the lake in your neighborhood? I can't tell!

oneof4dms said...

Yes, this is the lake in our neighborhood. I love that it is so close (besides the goose poop, that is)!