Friday, July 10, 2009

Houdini or Spiderman?

There was a great escape last night, but the usual suspects (Dixie, Maddie, Tank, and Jack) were not involved. Rich put Hailey down in her crib at 9:30 pm, turned the baby monitor on, and got back in his recliner. Over the next three minutes or so, Hailey screamed and cried which rarely happens at bedtime. I just don't think that she was tired. At the exact moment that I started to stand up from my seat and check on her, Rich and I both looked at each other with the same wide-eyed expression. Did we really just hear the door open?? We popped up to see and hear the hallway doors being jingled. I pushed one of them all the way open to see Hailey screaming and trying to make her way back into the living room.

Didn't Rich just put her in the crib?! How in the world did a 20 month old climb out of her crib? Did she fall and hurt herself? I was so amazed that I didn't know what to do. Rich grabbed her and put her back in her crib, while I argued to check to make sure she wasn't hurt. She, of course, continued the screaming fit. We pulled her door half way shut and peered in through the crack to see if Houdini herself would try to make another escape. She obviously wasn't try to keep her tricks to herself because within seconds she had her feet stuck sideways to the slats like some kind of spider-monkey and arms flung over the side of the crib. In less than five seconds she hoisted one leg over, turned around, pulled the other over, and dropped to the ground! I wish I had a video of this Cirque du Soleil show. Rich put her back in the crib and sternly told her not to do it again. She ended up falling asleep within a few minutes. I guess her acrobatics eventually got to her.

Now the debate is on, do we continue to watch and see what happens, risking a fall from the crib? or go ahead and convert to the toddler bed? She is snoozing the crib as we speak, but tonight may be a different story!

1 comment:

jennie said...

that little monkey!