Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Diabetes sucks

Two sickos this weekend
Dixie has not been herself since March of this year, mainly due to issues regulating her glucose levels.  I don't want to even think about the amount of money we've spent just in glucose curves and testing.  On top of that, diabetics often get UTI's that go undetected.  She is on her second round of antibiotics in a month for such UTIs.  For some reason it has been really hard to get her regulated and at this point the vet is very frustrated as are we!  I don't think frustrated describes my emotions when Dixie is peeing on the floor every 1-2 hours.  I think this must be worse than a newborn.  If I'm not taking her outside then I am soaking up pee and spraying the carpet.  Fun stuff, I tell ya. 

Anyhow, the latest developments include a UTI for Maddie.  Guess that was just her way of trying to get some attention around this zoo.  The most difficult part of all of this is that Dixie is all of a sudden losing her sight and it is not from diabetic induced cateracts.  As of right now there is no good explanation for the vision loss.....all the bloodwork looks normal and the vets at Virginia Tech are baffled as well.  I feel horrible that Dixie is running into things and getting confused.  It must be extremely scary for this to happen so suddenly.  As we try to figure out the insulin issues we are hoping that the vision will be affected or we'll at least be able to figure out what is causing the problem.  Starting tomorrow we are moving away from Humulin-N insulin and on to PZI.  I sure hope that this helps!  We will also be trained on taking our own glucose readings at home by pricking her lip and borrowing a glucometer.  Again, fun stuff. 

Maddie's protector

No comments: