Monday, October 17, 2011

Movie Reviews - A LOT of them!

We have seen quite a few movies over the last 6 weeks or so....

  1. One of my favorites of the entire year was Warrior!  It was a fantastic movie about two brothers that fight MMA style, but it wasn't just a "fighting" action packed movie.  There was plenty of drama involved and I was rather impressed with the acting.  I never buy movies, but this one is so high up there on my list that I might consider it.  I'd go see it again today if I had the money:)  5 STARS!
  2. 50/50 - Not quite what I expected.  It combined a very serious subject with some comic relief, but overall it was pretty moving considering we all know someone who has had to deal with cancer in their life.  It found it to be a little slow in certain parts, but I really liked the honesty and reality about cancer treatment.  4 STARS. 
  3. Real Steel- LOVED this movie.  Rich and I took Hailey to see this movie last weekend.  I usually hate futuristic/sci fi movies, but this one was different.  It features fighting/boxing robots and a great kid actor, Dakota Goyo.  He was pretty darn cute and funny.  Hugh Jackman is always a good choice as well!  Hailey LOVED the robots, probably because they were so "real." I found myself feeling sorry for them and loving them as well.  5 STARS for both the kiddos and adults! 
  4. Courageous - "Honor Begins at Home" This one came from the producers of Fireproof, a Christian based film.  We watched this movie with my parents yesterday.  I think it is fair to say that this is one that really makes you reflect on the kind of life that you want to live.  Although it doesn't have any big name actors and could be cheesy in parts, the message itself makes it worth watching.  We need more movies like this one out there.  There were no dry eyes in the theater, that is for sure.  How can you not like Javier!? I'm thankful that I had a father like these guys when I was growing up and today!  5 STARS. 
  5. The 5th Quarter -We ordered this movie from Comcast Saturday night when Jessica had Matt over to hang out.  We sat down for pizza and a good football movie.  You can't ask for much more than that!  Again, more of a religious movie than we typically choose, but I love inspirational true stories.  It also helped that it was about the Wake Forest football team which is part of the ACC....always brings it home a bit more.  The acting wasn't the best, but the story was a tear jerker!  4 STARS. 
  6. Oh geez, I almost forgot one - Moneyball- Umm, can you go wrong with Brad Pitt?  I think not.  It seems like we have a sports theme going here.  This is another inspirational true story about baseball.  I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I still enjoyed the movie and the behind the scenes look at what really goes on with these teams.  4 STARS. 
I foresee many more movies in our future especially since it is getting cooler outside. I hope they are as good as the ones we've seen lately! 

No comments: