Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Overcoming Barriers

This is the name of the program that Rich is directing at my school on Friday afternoons.  One of his professors, Dr. Moran, started the program after receiving a grant in 2010.  The program focuses on getting kids with all sorts of disabilities to make social and physical strides while having fun.  This is the same program that Rich volunteered as a mentor at our local YMCA.  Jessica and Evan did some mentoring in Waynesboro as well.  Rich was so moved by the kids that he worked with there that he talked Dr. Moran into expanding the program to Charlottesville. 

Through our connections at school we were able to get the program going in just a few short weeks.  The need for programs like this is obviously out there because we had over 30 kids register.  This week will be our third week hosting Overcoming Barriers at my school, and I have to say that I am really enjoying being a mentor to these kids.  Most of the time I work with the 3-4 year olds, but last week I worked with some of my formers students in the 13-14 age range.  It doesn't matter which group I work with because I know I am going to be thoroughly exhausted, surprised, and proud of the kids.  I am also very proud of Rich for starting something new, not for class, not for money, but because he is passionate about it.  That says a lot about someone's character! 

1 comment:

Megs said...

Congratulations, sounds like a really great program.