Friday, May 15, 2009

Four-legged, two-legged, we take them all...

Well, maybe all but the slithering kind...

Yesterday morning when Mom took the dogs out they pulled her over to the crawl space vent. She looked down to find two kittens! We don't know how long were they before they were discovered, but probably only a couple of days. She saw the mother cat run around the side of the house a couple days earlier, but didn't think anything of it. Of course, I get an email with pictures and "what do I do?" while I am at school. During lunch, I mentioned the kittens that need to be "saved" and get a number of "I want one" responses. My mission was then to rescue the kittens, bring them to school, and get one of my co-workers to foster and/or adopt them.

After tutoring, I stopped by the house to see them. Their eyes were already open and ears were up, probably about three weeks old. I left them in the vent space over night so that the mother could come back and feed them, but there was no sign that she had been there when I went back this morning. So, I put some towels in a box, grabbed the kittens, and off to school I went.

I swear there could have been a litter of six and I still would have been able to find homes for all of them. There damn near was a fight in the lounge over who was going to get them! I'm still not sure whether they will end up in one home or separate homes, the fight goes on, but at least during the bottle feeding stage Jennifer, one of our TA's, has them.
The gray kitty is a female and the calico is a male. For now, Jennifer has named them Pumpkin and Princess. I am NOT a cat person (sorry Megs!), but who can resist these cute little faces???

So, one more 'daring' animal rescue, good deed, and Dr. Doolittle moment down. I'm still waiting for my turn to be rescued!

2 comments:

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

Oh, they are so cute!! I am not a "cat person" either...but they are too cute and I am so glad you found them a good home! Take care, Caroline

Megs said...

ha ha, no snakes huh?!! it sounds like the kitties are going to have a good home/homes. i am happy to hear that. once you meet bella you will love cats :) have a good week.