In April I received a letter stating that I was nominated for and chosen to receive the Golden Apple Award for our school. I was very surprised because in the past the Golden Apple always went to a superior teacher who was retiring. This year we have four teachers who have each taught for more than 30 years retiring, including Mr. and Mrs. Fagan and Mrs. Kauffman, who are my former teachers!
Last Monday, I was invited to the award reception in the dome room of the Rotunda at UVA. The room was beautiful and the ceremony really made me feel appreciated for the job that I do (something that does not happen very often). I received a Golden Apple to put in my classroom as well as some local gift certificates. Rich and I were able to go to Lord Hardwicke's for a nice peaceful dinner afterward.
When I first found out that I won the award, I made Rich promise not to tell anyone because I hate being in the spotlight. However, once the announcement was made I realized how silly that was and truly appreciated all of the recognition that I received. We all need something to keep us going from day to day and this was definitely one of those things that gave me a push to try to do even more.


1 comment:
Shout it from the hilltops girl! I still LOL when I remember that conversation of our's :) Congratulations, that is really great!
Post a Comment