Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy Fricken New Year!

The last couple of years have been pretty difficult ones.......

-I broke my wrist, had three surgeries and it's still a daily problem
-Rich wrecked his truck ($8500 of damage)
-Rich wrecked his motorcycle (totalled)
-Rich broke his wrist in the motorcycle accident and will have surgery in a couple of weeks
-We were emotionally and financially drained from infertility treatments
-We each got a speeding ticket
-Rich lost his job in September and is still unemployed
-Maddie had eye surgery

...we were hoping that 2009 would bring us some better luck. So far the first week in January has not been one of luck!

#1 I started out the New Year with tonsilitis. It felt like I was swallowing glass for several days. Thank goodness the antibiotics have kicked in and I am feeling much better now.

#2 Rich got a french press coffee maker from 250 before they closed (something he had wanted for a long time). He used it to make coffee several times a day over the break and tried to make coffee for anyone and everyone he could because supposedly it tastes better (I wouldn't know since I don't drink coffee). Last week he was putting something on the counter, leaning back in his recliner instead of getting up, when we heard a loud crash in the kitchen. His first words were "uh oh, wonder what that was???"...mine were "guess you aren't going to be using that french press any longer"....glass was across the entire kitchen.

#3 We have a porcelain kitchen sink that started making popping sounds last night and then cracked all the way down the divider. The crack is at least twelve inches long and one inch wide! The porcelain flew all over the kitchen as it broke. I wonder how much it costs to replace a kitchen sink??...more than we have at the moment that's for sure. Rich is going to try to put a bandaid on it for now.

#4 This morning the dogs came running in the door from their walk, knocked the laptop off of the kitchen counter, which brought down with it a glass vase that shattered in the already broken sink! I took one look at it and jumped in the shower....there are two men in this house without jobs, let them take care of it!

#5 Forgive me for the order, but last week the heat stopped working as well! It would happen to be on a holiday so it would cost much more to have someone come out to look at it. Thankfully Rich was able to talk to an HVAC guy over the phone who helped him troubleshoot and actually met him at the shop at 10:00 pm to pick up the part that we needed. Thank goodness for the nice people that live in the valley!

....Now that I think of it maybe I didn't actually have tonsilitis...I was probably swallowing glass from one of the many broken items!

I thought about posting our resolutions, but who has time for resolutions when we can keep the roof from blowing off the house.

Oh yes, how did I forget #6...The fertility specialist that we have been working with for the last three years calls me at school today because he is concerned that Rich is going to yet another doctor. His concern is that we are looking for a solution to a problem that does NOT have a solution. Thanks for your confidence doc! He said, as he has before, our best bet is to "just" do IVF. Well, duh! We would have already done IVF if we had the money! Oh, and he had to mention that I will be turning 30 in a month....really??? I had NO idea.

No comments: